Mountain Education, Inc.
Policies, Terms, and Conditions:
Please read and understand these Policies, Terms, and Conditions before submitting your application to Mountain Education, Inc. (MEI)*
- Frequent Flyers: If you’ve taken a course with us before, you can get a 10% discount, but remind us of when it was, course title and date, so we can look it up. Welcome back!
- Refer a Friend: If you’ve taken a course with us before and bring a friend on your subsequent class, you qualify for an additional 10% discount (So, 20% for you) and your friend gets 10% off! Again, remind us when you attended before, course title and date, so we can look it up. Way to go!
- Large Groups: Student groups of 6 registering together can receive a 10% discount each! Spread the word!
- Early Birds:
1. Before Labor Day: Registrations paid in full before Labor Day*: 20% off!
2. Before Thanksgiving: Registrations paid in full before Thanksgiving*: 10% off!
*For a course starting the following year.
Payment Timing & Late Fees:
- Deposits must be paid in full 60 days before your course date to start your registration process.
- Balance must be paid in full 30 days before your course start date to complete the registration process.
- A 10% Late Fee will be added to your course cost if you have not paid your registration balance by 30 days prior to the start of your course.
Obviously, you can pay at any time, but full payment must be in the school’s office within 30 days prior to the start of your course for your name to be included on your Course Roster.
Cancellation & Refund Policies:
(Unless otherwise stated in your course’s Full Course Description)
- If you wish to cancel your course attendance more than 60 days from your course start date, you will receive a full refund, minus your deposit.
- If you wish to cancel your course attendance 60 to 30 days before your course start date, you will receive a 50% refund, minus your deposit.
- If you wish to cancel your course attendance less than 30 days before your course start date, no refunds will be made.
- If MEI cancels your course due to insufficient course registrations, you will be refunded in full.
- If MEI cancels your course due to trailhead weather or trail conditions, your payment can be applied toward the next course date of your choice or refunded in full, less your deposit.
- If MEI has to cancel an in-progress course due to an on-trail emergency, the remaining percentage of your course tuition will be applied toward the next course date of your choice or refunded, minus your deposit.
Wilderness Course Conditions:
MEI is not responsible for expenses (e.g. nonrefundable airline tickets, visa fees, equipment, etc.) incurred by trip members in preparing for a later cancelled trip, regardless of cancellation reason, or for any additional expenses should the trip members have embarked or returned prior to or after any scheduled date. MEI is not responsible for any expenses incurred due to any deviation from the schedule undertaken by choice of trip participant. MEI alone reserves the right to cancel (in accordance with the above terms), or postpone any trip due to acts of man or forces of nature beyond MEI’s control.
Early Departures: No refunds will be given for participants leaving a trip by personal choice, or by direction of the guide. Unscheduled services such as transportation, meals, hotels, etc., are the responsibility of the participant.
Route Changes: It is possible that a route change due to forces of nature may become necessary on any trip. Route changes will always be at the discretion of the guide. No refunds will be available in the event of any route or itinerary change. Postponement or Delay: Delays and postponements in trip departures due to forces of nature and illness sometimes occur. MEI cannot be responsible for these at any time. Every effort will be made to minimize any inconvenience, but MEI is not responsible for any additional costs that may arise.
Sufficiency of Instruction: We will make every effort to adequately show, teach, and watch you perform each skill unto personal command of it, but individual/group safety and present weather, snow, and creek conditions may constrain this. Each season, month, and week offers different and constantly changing conditions that will dictate what we can teach and how long we can stay there. What you get out of each skills clinic will depend in part on how attentive you are, the gear you bring, the questions you ask, and how much you can practice. All of this will be limited by present conditions, so it is entirely possible that you may come away from the course feeling that you have not learned nor practiced well enough to have a complete command of a particular skill.
Responsibility: Students are responsible for the cost of evacuations. Trip insurance, which includes emergency evacuation coverage, is strongly recommended.
MEI will take every care with a student’s property, but is not liable for loss, damage, theft or delayed delivery, especially in the case of evacuations. If a student is not able or willing to assume the above-mentioned risks, they should purchase trip insurance.
Consent to Treatment: I hereby consent to any hospital care or medical or surgical diagnosis or first aid activities with MEI and its agents, if I am not able at that time to give my written consent due to unconsciousness, disorientation or other mental incapacity. I also understand and agree that I am solely responsible for all appropriate charges for such services and that MEI and its agents are under no duty to provide any first aid or medical treatment in any event.
Consent to Treatment (Minors): I authorize MEI personnel to call for medical care for the minor or to transport the minor to a medical facility or hospital if, in the opinion of such personnel, the minor needs medical attention. I further authorize appropriate personnel to render such medical treatment as is necessary for the health of the minor, in their professional opinion. I agree that once the minor is in the care of medical personnel or a medical facility, MEI and its agents shall have no further responsibility for the minor and I agree to pay all costs associated with such medical care and transportation.
Medical and Recreational Drug Policy: Unless prescribed by a Medical Doctor, Mountain Education does not allow its students to carry or use any recreational pharmaceuticals or alcohol. If a student is found carrying or using any of the above, he or she will be immediately expelled from their course of wilderness instruction.
Wilderness Course Participation Release and Indemnity Agreement:
Although Mountain Education, Inc. (MEI) has taken reasonable steps to ensure that I have appropriate equipment, an understanding of the environmental risks into which I wish to go, and skilled instructors so I can enjoy activities in which I may not be skilled, these activities are not without risk. Certain risks cannot be eliminated without destroying the unique character of the course. The same elements that contribute to the unique character of these activities can be causes of loss or damage to my equipment, accidental injury or illness, or, in extreme cases, permanent trauma or death. Lapses of judgment on my part or the careless conduct of other participants may cause me injury.
I further recognize that, although MEI tries to maintain my constant safety, it cannot control everything. It might be unaware of my or another participant’s fitness or abilities. It might misjudge the weather or some other environmental condition. It may give incomplete warnings or instructions and equipment being used might malfunction. I acknowledge that engaging in this activity may require a degree of skill and knowledge different than other activities and that I have responsibilities as a participant. I acknowledge that MEI has tried to fully explain to and identify for me the nature, risks, hazards, dangers, required skills and equipment, and physical demands of this activity.
I am aware that this course entails risks of injury or death to myself. I understand that the description of these risks is not complete and that other unknown or unanticipated risks may also occur. I agree to assume responsibility for the risks identified and those not specifically identified. My participation in this wilderness education course is purely voluntary and I elect to participate in it despite the inherent risks. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge and agree to indemnify and hold harmless MEI from any and all claims, demands or causes of action which are in any way connected with my participation in this activity including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions of MEI.
I am fully capable of participating in this course. Therefore, I assume full responsibility for myself for bodily injury, death, and loss of personal property and the expenses thereof (including cost of rescue, evacuation, and field treatment) as a result of these inherent risks and dangers and of my negligence in participating in this wilderness course. Should MEI or anyone acting on their behalf be required to incur attorney’s fees and costs to enforce this Agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
I give my consent and permission for any emergency treatment that might become necessary. I certify that I am sufficiently physical fit and medically prepared to undertake the rigors and exposures required of me during this wilderness course of education and that there is no other medical or psychological information I am withholding what will in any way affect my performance or that of anyone else in the field. I certify that I have adequate insurance to cover any injury or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear the costs of such injury or damage myself. I further certify that I am willing to assume the risk of any medical or physical condition I may have.
Image & Audio Release:
I have been informed that during this wilderness education course I may be photographed, filmed, or audio recorded for instructional, promotional, advertising, or marketing purposes. I hereby allow any and all photographic, video, or other images of me with its accompanying audio to be used by Mountain Education, Inc. in any manner it so desires.
* I have read the terms, policies, and conditions of Mountain Education, Inc., and in submitting this application online, I understand and accept them and acknowledge that this agreement shall be effective and binding upon myself, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate and for all members of my family, including minor children. I also certify that the above information I have provided is accurate and correct.